Sunday, January 15, 2006

Me and a couple of my rowing teammates.


Here's a shot of our trip down to Whole Foods Market along Washtenaw yesterday after practice, which we thought it'd do us good to immortalize, explaining this nifty picture. Whole Foods Market is this incredible fresh produce grocery store which is wholly organic and stocks all sorts of wonderful foods. It's an amazing place and just about my favorite destination for groceries, even though the prices are admittedly a little steep. Then again, you're paying for quality which is unparalleled by the Meijers and Krogers and Wal-Marts and all the other giant American supermarket chains, whose aisles are jam-packed with Little Debbie Cream Cakes and Frito-Lays and just about every brand of junk food America has come to being lovingly associated with. So Whole Foods is, pretty much, a haven for those of us who remain largely distant from the enigmatic lure of hydrogenated oils lurking beneath brightly-colored wrappers and disarmingly cheap prices. After all, you know Americans- they're a sucker for what they assume to be "great value"- just throw together a couple of packages of doughnuts, Glad-wrap them together, knock fifty cents off the combined selling price and slap on a 'SALE' tag, and the next thing you know, they're flying off the shelves and into shopping carts.

Anyway, back to Whole Foods. Liz P (that's the girl with the colorful scarf, second from right) and I have been intending to go shopping there together ever since last year. It's been quite a while, but somehow or other we've always managed to find ourselves unable to agree on a time for us to go, since we've always got something or other to do, like rowing practice, or homework, or some other similarly urgent preoccupation. However, we finally got around to going together yesterday, and it was pretty awesome. You might wonder- how can you possibly derive so much pleasure from, of all things, grocery shopping? But you see, 1. grocery shopping's always fun when you go with like-minded people, 2. rowers are perpetually hungry, 3. Whole Foods in Ann Arbor is a store unlike any other, and 4. (the most important- without which all the previously-mentioned factors fade into insignificance) there are samples of just about every sort of food around every corner of the store, no matter into which aisle you turn into. And you see, even if there aren't samples, you can always somehow conjure up a sample. Okay that sounded a little cryptic, but then again, I can't exactly go around proclaiming my food-phishing techniques to the masses, can I? Hahaha. But take it from me, I can get you samples. Ooohh, that last statement is a pun in itself. I marvel at my ingenuity. :)

Oh, by the way, don't you just love my template? I think it's hilarious. Hahahaha. And especially to Wilson Liu Weiyuan, this is a celebration of the clogged arteries to come! Hahahahaha! Okay lah, typically I wouldn't wish clogged arteries on anyone, but since you're always likening me to a bovine creature due to my taste for vegetables, this blog template is dedicated as a special tribute to you, Wilson. Okay, I can just see you brandishing a steak knife and hunting me down in South Quad so I think I should stop right here.

No comments: