Sunday, September 04, 2005

I've just bought myself a Flickr Pro Account under Ted's influence- so I'm going to be storing all my photos (and some from his camera too) in this place. You can access my pictures from the macromedia flash link at the left of the screen- do go have a look because it's likely that there'll be new photos pretty often, which will allow you guys to track what I've been doing (and also to tell me whether I'm on my way to Freshman 15- please be honest here! I would really appreciate that. Haha.)

I went to watch my first american football game at the Michigan Stadium (aka. the Big House) yesterday. It was the Big Ten Conference season opener- with UM taking on Northern Illinois University, or NIU. I don't recall having watched any other major sporting event live before- the nearest I've ever gotten to is probably National Schools Track & Field which is peanuts compared to this, so it definitely was a great experience. Just to give you an idea of the scale of the event- 110,971 people turned up for the match, which also was the 4th largest recorded turnout at the Big House for a Big Ten opening match. Apparently, NIU isn't a very important rival- so we still managed to get tickets for the match. For the rest of the games coming up- tickets are being sold at astronomical prices, going up to $200 + even, for example like the game against Notre Dame or that against Ohio State. Man. I don't have the money for those! Despite not knowing anything about american football prior to the game, and not being able to see where the ball was till play halted during the first quarter, I managed to get into the drift of things after a while and I must say that I did enjoy watching it pretty much. Even though it's not as flowing as soccer, so a 15-minute quarter ends up 45 minutes long, and the entire game takes about 3 hours to end.

Anyway UM won 33-17. The offence was excellent, but their defence was fraught with holes. Absolutely awful, especially the way in which the first touchdown was scored by NIU. The guy just whizzed past the UM defence. Man.

No comments: