Friday, September 16, 2005

Finally! The last day of rowing tryouts, which lasted for a week. Six days of going down to the rowing machine (ergometer) room where the varsity crew team has its practice, at the intramural sports building. I have a hunch that the tryout schedule was designed in such a way that the coach could then weed out the people who weren't actually serious about training, by scheduling several of the training sessions pretty early in the morning, at about 6.15am. Anyway I must say that I'm amazed at how just about everyone displayed such great commitment by turning up for every tryout session- I fell to talking to some of them and it's easy to see just how much they want to make the team. I miss that kind of dedication and passion and the entire idea of team spirit and camaraderie, and perhaps that's one of the primary reasons I want to be able to join UM crew- to have something to train for, to get the chance to compete, and getting to know a whole lot of like-minded individuals whom I can possibly foster deep friendships with. Anyway, the roster for the 2005-6 novice team will be announced on Sunday- whether it be rower or coxswain or sorry-you-didn't-make-the-cut, I'm glad to say that it has been a fulfilling week, not only because I finally learnt the art of proper technique on an ergometer, but because I've also had the opportunity to get to know some strong-minded individuals, people I can identify with, who have that sort of passion for whatever they set their mind to. I guess it's been a great experience. And it's definitely helped me in taking a break from all the work and assignments that've been relentlessly pouring in, as well as clear my head and keep me from thinking about other parts of my life that haven't been going as smoothly as I'd like.

No comments: