Tuesday, September 13, 2005

i was just thinking about how ironic some things are... After JC i thought i'd never have to do any more timed 2.4km runs. Then it turned out that we did timed 2.4s about a total of 5 times during BMT. After BMT it seemed to me that i'd cleared IPPT for the year, so I wouldn't have to run 2.4 again that year. But I did, twice more in Sierra during combined leadership phase/ service term, and twice after in Air Force Service Term. And I really thought that was it! I'd done about 10 timed 2.4s, so it ought to be enough, right? But No! while loboing in AFS, I did 3 more 2.4s, and took my IPPT for that workyear ( still dunno if they've credited my $200 into the bank account yet, hmmm), which makes it 4 2.4s in AFS.

So after about 13 2.4s, I finally flew off to Michigan and was extremely glad that I wouldn't have to worry about any more 2.4s till next year's IPPT during the summer vacation. Well, guess what, I just did a 1.5mile time trial this morning for day 4 of novice rowing tryouts. Do you know how long 1.5miles is? Surprise! It's a bloody 2.4! Pfffffft. But it was fantastic. Really.

Oh and one more thing I'm delighted to note is that I haven't put on any weight yet! In fact, I think I might've lost some! This is awesome, man. And the thing is, I think I'm eating more here compared to back in Singapore. Today there was an incredible dinner... it was a special dinner, called the "Welcome to Michigan" dinner. The menu was superb- there was baked whitefish, Frankenmuth fried chicken (which is supposed to be way outta this world), smashed Michigan red potatoes (these were awesome), beef and vegetable pasties, Michigan vegetable mix... and those were just the entrees. And there were cream puffs with vanilla ice cream and hot fudge sauce, as well as Michigan fruit crisp (this is really good stuff, guys) for dessert. Arghh I love this place. Well anyway, as I was saying, even though I eat considerably more here I haven't put on weight (HAHAHAHA ALL YOU CYNICS HAHAHAHA I'M GONNA PROVE ALL YOU GUYS WRONG MAN JUST WAIT AND SEE)... I'm not sure why, but I think it's because I walk when I wanna get anywhere in this sprawling campus, I never take the campus buses (unless it's from central to north campus in the mornings when I've to rush for german classes at 8), and perhaps due to the daily morning runs and pre-lunch gym workouts. Okay man i'm gonna keep this up so I can enjoy food yet maintain my fitness lol.

I've a 1000m timed trial on the ergometer (rowing machine) this coming Friday afternoon... Arghh I remember how we used to train on the lone erg in the RJ fitness room just before the machine rowing championships in Feb 2004, and how we used to tumble out of the seat in a flurry when we practiced the mixed 4 x 500m relay. Once I left my shoe in the foot port when I over-enthusiastically tumbled off to make way for philip, which was quite exasperating then but funny now when I think of it. Anyway just thinking of a 1000m timed trial makes me want to cry... I remember all too well the feeling of racing on the rowing machine... my legs were totally Gone after the race. They just subsided into a gelatinous mass. Crap man, can't believe I'm subjecting myself to this again. I wish they had lightweight crew in UM... I know I'm terribly disadvantaged by virtue of my size, especially when one of the criteria to succeed in rowing is that of height. And by height, i mean HEIGHT. like 5'8", at least? And you need mass as well- say about 170 pounds? Okay so I'm nowhere near such gargantuan proportions, neither do I particularly want to be, so I will just have to see where drive and hard work take me.

Either that or I can be coxswain (the so-called commander of the boat, who does coxing and steering, as well as motivator of the crew, and gives the starting commands and plots the race strategies, but who essentially doesn't row in the competition). The coxswain has to be between 110-120 pounds in weight (oh and I found out something interesting too, if she doesn't meet the minimum weight requirement she'll have to carry a weight to compensate, lol) But I'd much rather row... Oh well guess I'll just have to wait and see how it goes. And as I've discerned from 2 years of canoeing, I have a terrible relationship with rudders, and direction in general.

How awfully disadvantaged small people are! I got to know another girl trying out for rowing- she's about my height and she looks real lean and strong- I'm always seeing her in the gym (ah, precisely my sort of person!). She's called Kelsey, from Colorado- and the really cool thing about her is that she used to be a wrestler back in high school. And there wasn't a girls' team, so she took part in the guys' championships, and kicked some serious ass there. Apparently some guys from college wrestling in her weight category quit after losing a bout to her. Man I think that's someone I can definitely be good friends with. Lol.

No comments: