Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Okay, got the Airborne wings in time for my birthday, perhaps one of the best presents ever! But we were issued the old dark-green badges and so now I've to hunt for the ones on olive-green backing. Honestly, the implementation of the new Army dress rules have proved to be quite a hassle, especially since no one in my formation seems to have any inkling whatsoever when it comes to the formation and arms badges. Which is not a good sign, because we're supposed to get everything altered by 1st July. And the alterations burn quite a hole in the pocket- I know I shouldn't be complaining, since there are probably others who have it far worse- but I'd have to say the Beach Road Army Market stallholders are probably making a killing right now by charging unprecedented prices for all the sewing they've been doing of late. So far life in the unit has been decent, just lie low and don't attract the wrong sort of attention and I think I should survive till the end of my attachment. Anyway training is at a lull now, excepting NDP (which is crazy busy) so my weekdays are not as packed as I'd imagined them to be, but I foresee all my Saturdays up till the end of NDP being entirely burnt by combined rehearsals, NE show, Preview and the like. Cookhouse food is surprisingly palatable and they're generous with fruit so I really can't ask for more. Endurance/ AHM training runs are mainly held at ECP which is just across the expressway from camp and it's nice to run there so that's pretty good. I've come up with a good 3km running circuit in camp so every morning I go at it at least twice or thrice (or maybe even four times, if I'm so inclined). Which brings to mind the fact that the 10-km Mizuno Wave Run is scheduled for the 23rd of July and I think I'll be entering for the heck of it since the start/end point (Kovan Hub) is barely ten minutes' walk from my place. So if anyone wants to join me just let me know. Come to think of it, will be leaving for Michigan in scarcely more than two months' time. I think I will have to make the most of the time I have left here! Four months seems like a lot, initially- but half of it's already gone and I have to do what I can to make the remaining two last!

Anyway the National Dragonboat Championships are this weekend, man, it brings back memories of JC paddling days! Only that now I'm rowing for SAFSA in this race which is quite a different experience altogether. But it will be good. Hope we will get something out of it! I've learnt to appreciate dragonboat rowing far more as compared to back in JC, where it was just a method of team bonding and a half-hearted attempt at winning more medals (we were denied in both our tries, being edged out by a split second in the first and a large wave in the subsequent year). Far more teams have sprung up, which makes the competition admittedly stronger, but my faith lies with the Commandos and the SAFSA girls! The motivation has definitely altered now but I know when it comes to the crunch some things just don't ever change- taking it one stroke at a time, all the way to the finish line!

No comments: