Saturday, November 04, 2006

It's the start of November and that just about marks the halfway point of the fall term, Thanksgiving's coming and the weather's beginning to show the first signs of turning dreary. In fact I hope the cold stays away as long as possible- I'll really miss fall weather when it entirely disappears! But I don't think it'll remain much longer, the trees have already shed most of their leaves and it's already snowed twice here.

This term has been great so far. The classes I'm taking are pretty interesting, but some are definitely not easy to score in, like one of my political science classes titled "Modeling Political Processes", which is crazy abstract and fundamentally mathematical and therefore not exactly my cup of tea. Though it is intriguing.

I thought I'd have a difficult time adjusting to life without rowing, but in fact the transition has been surprisingly painless and I actually relish my newfound freedom in scheduling my own training and workouts, rather than be restricted to a team schedule. Honestly I think my not rowing this year turned out really well, because I've got far more flexibility especially when it comes to planning my new and subsequent goals. I've come to another phase in my life where I think it's time to shift my focus to other areas and sporting goals. I don't think I could go back to kayaking or rowing or even dragonboating anymore, somehow I just don't feel the affinity for those sports anymore. Though they were a huge and fundamentally important portion of my life for a substantial period of time- but I don't think they are sports which are compatible with my ideals and dreams anymore, so it's time to move on. Though I'd love to paddle a K2 any time for fun, or perhaps dragonboat for SAFSA just for kicks, they're no longer the mainstays of my sporting life.

I think this year marked my gradual shift towards more individual sporting goals. I guess it all started on a whim really, by signing up for the LaSalle Bank Chicago Marathon, which I ran 2 weeks ago on the cold, rainy, blustery morning of October 22nd. I don't think I had much of an idea of what I was getting into when I first signed up, it was more of a I-figure-I-can-somehow-plod-through-26.2-miles-given-that-we-did-12-km-runs-in-OCS sort of thing. And I've never been much of a endurance runner, which most of you can testify to. In fact, that is an understatement in itself. Haha. Anyway somehow I just grew into running and cross-training in the form of cycling, erging and swimming helped tons too, and the 10k runs and army half-marathon during summer break in Singapore were good primers for Chicago.

Chicago was an awesome first marathon for me, hands down. The atmosphere was electric and apparently it's one of the marathons with the best sideshows. Everyone says that the only goal you should have for your virgin marathon attempt is just to finish. I had no doubts I'd finish (how could I ever let myself down?) but a nagging twinge in my right calf forced me to re-evaluate my initial hopes of running 4:00 hours. No choice but to dose myself with ibuprofen on race day and hope to goodness nothing bad would happen. Thank God, I had a superb run and managed to come in at 3:59:15 which surpassed my expectations (even when injury-free), and I'm definitely going to run more marathons in the future, and hope they only go better from now on!

I've charted new goals for the coming year and I am forced to admit that they are, beyond a shred of a doubt, ambitious ones. Well, but I suppose nothing's impossible, given that only 8 months ago a marathon looked like the pinnacle of madness. It'll be a tough road ahead, though- in terms of nature of training- since I'll have to pick up new skills and then hone them.

***
I can only imagine what it will be like
When I walk by your side
I can only imagine what my eyes will see
When your face is before me
I can only imagine

Surrounded by your glory
What will my heart feel
Will I dance for you Jesus
Or in awe of you be still
Will I stand in your presence
Or to my knees will I fall
Will I sing hallelujah
Will I be able to speak at all
I can only imagine
I can only imagine

I can only imagine when that day comes
And I find myself standing in the Son
I can only imagine when all I will do
Is forever, forever worship you
I can only imagine
I can only imagine

***

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

hmm..I hate crazy abstract stuff. Two of my classes are almost always like that.

ted

Anonymous said...

fengyi im doing 16km/h but not for the crazy mileage you are doing yet.. haha if i keep it up maybe we'll see each other at singapore marathons!

take care, and god bless!

love,
philip

Colin said...

Congrats on running your first Marathon in an amazing time =)
I'll be running my first on 3 Dec.

I miss snow...

dAwN said...

HEYYYY (: what happened to tagboard? oh well... miss you loads... hahaha...

Anonymous said...

heyy. why did you choose to use this skin?